Skip to main content
#
LibertyTileSolutions
Tile Cleaning. Grout Cleaning.  Travertine Tile Cleaning. Carpet Cleaning
Our Services
Professional Travertine Cleaning. Travertine Tile Cleaning  Sacramento CA
Referral Rewards
Resources
Commercial Tile Cleaning. Commercial Carpet Cleaning Services
Contact
Blog
Gallery
 Blog 
Wednesday, June 01 2011

Will Hydrogen Peroxide Damage My Travertine Floors:

Recently I received a call from a woman who just wanted information regarding her travertine floors. Apparently she had heard, read, or saw something that lead her to believe that she could clean and sanitize her floors using hydrogen peroxide, but she was uncertain as to the effects hydrogen peroxide could have on travertine.

Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) has been around for over 100 years and has been used as an antiseptic, bleaching agent, and cleaning agent. You can find a 3% solution (meaning that only 3% of the bottle is actually H2O2 and the remaining 97% is water) in every pharmacy, drugstore, and grocery store. Mixed with baking soda and a small amount of soap it is a very effective at removing skunk odor. Hydrogen Peroxide should be stored in a cool dark place away from light or it will degrade and lose it potency in a relative short period of time.

Hydrogen Peroxide is safe for many uses but I personally would not recommend it as cleaning product for a travertine floor or any surface that is a natural stone. Hydrogen Peroxide has a pH level of 6.0 which makes it an acid. If you have read our other blogs you then know that acid should NEVER be used on natural stones. Because hydrogen peroxide is considered an acid it will literally EAT the stone. If a sealer has been applied to the stone the hydrogen peroxide will first eat the sealer then it will eat the stone. It could potentially etch the stone leaving it dull and lifeless. Used enough times it could permanently damage the stone.

Travertine, like other natural stones, should be cleaned with a pH neutral cleaning solution, in other words a pH level of 7.0. A pH neutral cleaning solution will not etch the stone nor will it break down the sealer. I hope this article has been helpful to you. If you have questions please email me at paddle@frontiernet.net.

Michael Hull

Posted by: Michael Hull AT 12:23 pm   |  Permalink   |  0 Comments  |  Email
Comments:

Post comment
Name
 *
Email Address

Message
(max 750 characters)
*
* Required Fields
Note: All comments are subject to approval. Your comment will not appear until it has been approved.

Site Mailing List  Sign Guest Book  View Guest Book 
We put the 'WOW' back in to your floors

 

We provide professional tile, grout, carpet cleaning services for home and businesses in the following California cities: Sacramento, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Wilton, Galt, Lodi, Stockton, Laguna West, Rancho Murieta, Mather, Rancho Cordova, Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Rescue, Cool, Carmichael, Fair Oaks, Orangevale, Antelope, Roseville, Lincoln, Loomis, Rocklin, Natomas, Citrus Heights, and Slough House. We will travel to other areas.

 

Hours: Monday thru Saturday 8:00AM till 8:00PM - Sitemap

Copyright © 2010-2011 Liberty Floor Solutions   Website Design By: www.wink-media.com

 

 

Providing tile, grout, travertine, carpet cleaning professional services to Sacramento and Elk Grove California : carpet cleaning - grout tile cleaning - travertine tile cleaning - carpet steam cleaning services